In 1983 I was working at a computer- store-slash-add-on-board-manufacturer doing computer repair, programming, tech writing, training, and so on, and as part of my continuing education my boss encouraged me to use the state-of-the- art search engine of going through Byte and other computer magazines circling "bingo card" numbers for new hardware and software products I was interested in learning more about.
I filled out the bingo cards using my home rather than work address, and I thought I ought to have my own company name as well, to sound more respectable to all these businesses I was wanting to send me stuff. "Tachyon Labs" was the name I came up with, which seemed supremely capable of containing multitudes and covering everything I did -- whether you needed programming, art, mad science, writing, filmmaking, computer repair, baking, what have you, Tachyon Labs would get the job done!
I've continued to use the name happily ever after, and registered the domain tachyonlabs.com on February 27, 1997.
My children Sam and Arthur are now 26 and 20 years old
When I first started putting up web pages back in spring of 1995, I immediately made pages for/about each of my children and featuring many of their creations, interests, and accomplishments. And immediately afterward found out how quickly such pages get out of date -- seriously, if you put up a page about your baby that seems to you like the most beautiful page in the world, before you know it your "baby" will be years older and that beautiful page way out of date.
In that vein, the pictures to the left show me with my children Sam and Arthur when they were almost nine and almost three, and although you can still see the pages I was lovingly maintaining for them at the time here and here (plus our similarly-seriously- outdated games page), they have since gone on to running more of their own online lives/presences. These days among many many other places Sam can be found on Facebook and LinkedIn, and Arthur on Facebook and BoardGameGeek.
4 and 20
blackbirds web pages
I probably do have at least four and twenty web pages sorely in need of a good overhaul, but here are some of my more up-to-date pages:
- For almost nine years (early 1986 to the end of 1994) I ran (and had written the software for) the Pyrzqxgl BBS, a tree-structured dial-up discussion-oriented computer bulletin board (BBSes -- the original online social networking!) here in Santa Cruz, California. As Tane is the name of the Polynesian god of forests and trees this seems appropriate.
- For seventeen years I've gotten around town on a BikeE recumbent bike, therefore my BikeE page is as complete a resource as I can make it on both BikeE information and Santa Cruz bicycling information.
- My Fender/Squier Venus, Martin Backpacker, and Epiphone Flying VeeWee guitars all have their own web pages, and I also have an in-process Guitar page which includes info on jam sessions and open mics in Santa Cruz.
- In spring 1992 I did a picture book, My Dog Carmel, as a project for two classes, and later put up an online version.
More coming soon!
1 little, 2 little, 3 little blogs
In addition to my stand-alone web pages, I've also started three blogs (so far):
- Digital Filmmaking, about my experiences filming, editing, and producing full-featured DVDs of plays and other events.
- Wearing my Heart on the end of my Sleeve, about message/awareness bracelets/wristbands and the causes they promote.
- Cookies and Carrots, my "sooner or later everyone starts a food blog" vegetarian blog.
Back in the day, like everybody else I made just no end of "under construction" signs for my web pages. It wasn't even very long afterward that such signs became very much frowned upon, but I've kept my "Rosie" one up anyway because it's become kind of a symbol for me. (BTW, check out Rosie promoting women jazz artists, encryption rights, unions, the Community Women's Orchestra, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, the film Miss Representation, and the Queer Youth Task Force -- she gets around!)
Copyright © 1995-2015 Tané Tachyon, Tachyon Labs Last updated January 3, 2015
Email: email@example.com Phone: +1-831-854-7228 Fax: +1-831-295-6345
Address: P.O. Box 7585, Santa Cruz, California 95061, USA
"Tachyon looked like a cross between one of the Three Musketeers and some kind of circus performer." - George R. R. Martin
"Years later, after a pardon from President John F. Kennedy, Tachyon returned to America" - Wikipedia